Walking Your Way To Health
Leicester City Council has introduced a Walking For Health scheme with all walks being accessible 7 days a week within the parks opening and closing times, walking by yourself, with friends and family or joining a group. Not only is this a way to improve your health, it is also a nice way to explore our many city parks and meet lots of new people.
Did You Know?
In England the proportion of men classed as obese increased from 13.2% in 1993 to 22.1% in 2005. Also in the same period women classed as obese increased from 16.4% to 21.9%.
In Leicester alone there are 82,000 adults that are classed as overweight, 48,000 adults classed as obese and 5,000 classed as morbidly obese.
Above are shocking statistics that are proven to be true. People may not realise it, but in the current world there are so many fast food chains, restaurants and fatty foods, so it is unbelievably easy for someone to end up on the road to obesity.
How Does Walking Benefit Me?
There are a number of reasons that walking benefits you. However the main benefit is how it affects your health.
- More Energy – Being able to cope with daily routines and have energy to spare.
- Reduced Stress – Relax more easily and feel good about yourself.
- Stronger Bones And Muscles
- Better Balance, Strength, Suppleness And Mobility
- Improved Sleep
- More Independence In Later Life – Be able to cope with daily tasks more easily.
- Better Maintenance Of a Healthy Weight
- More Social Opportunities
- A Sense Of Achievement
- Increased Enjoyment – Activities can be fun and its something to enjoy with the family.
WALKING FOR HEALTH – Regular Groups
Walking for Health programme of events
Spinney Hill Park
9:15am every Wednesday Ladies only, meet at the St Saviours Road entrance near the noticeboard.
Walk leader Hasina Lambat Tel: 0116 212 3242 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cossington Recreation Ground
10:30am every Wednesday, meet at Belgrave Library. Walk leader Kishor Gohill Tel: 07870 415218 email: email@example.com
10.30am every Monday – Meet at Stable Block car park
The Leicester City Council has a lot of leisure clubs that offer:
- Swimming Pools
- Gym – Including Squash Courts
- Fitness Classes
- Toning Salons
If you are aged 16 and over and you are interested in leading a more active lifestyle, then sign up to the 3x30 pledge today.
Walking in Leicester has never been so easy
Download the Park Maps & Routes