Meeting our public sector equality duty
Leicester is one of the country’s most diverse cities.
As a local authority this presents us with a challenge to ensure that we provide effective local services to its residents: ones that are responsive to the variation of individual and local need and do not follow the ‘one size fits all’ model of service delivery.
As a city, we celebrate our diversity. We want our communities to get on well together. The council is proud of the work we have done to promote community cohesion
This part of the council’s website sets out how we aim to meet that service delivery challenge by:
and by doing so fulfil our roles:
Our Corporate Equality Strategy sets out how we will meet our public sector equality duty.
Our Interpretation and Translation Policy sets out when we will translate information into other languages.
The five equality objectives for the council are:
- Reducing inequality by improving outcomes for local residents
- Providing "equality friendly" services to all customers
- Improving resident/service user perceptions of fair treatment by the council
- Improving workforce representation to reflect the communities we serve
- Improving workforce perceptions of fair treatment by, and within, the council
Progress against these objectives will be measured against a list of key indicators.